Using an SSD1306 based OLED display module

I had the opportunity to buy a 0.96" OLED display module from Amazon.

This is a simple monochrome display that can be interfaced to micro-controller such as an Arduino via the i2c bus.

The model I bought came from the GeekStory store but seems to be distributed by DIYMall. Here are some pictures of what I received:





Looking up the specs we see it's powered by a SSD1306 chipset which is supported by the Adafruit SSD1306 Arduino library.

The wiring is quite simple on an Arduino Uno:

  • VCC is +5v
  • GND is GND
  • SCL goes to A5
  • SDA goes to A4 


For testing I simply loaded the ssd1306_128x64_i2c example sketch that came with the Adafruit library. I did have to change the i2C address on line 59 from 0x3D to 0x3C. I compiled and uploaded the sketch to the Uno and voila:


(Note that the flickering you see in the video is just due to my smartphone sampling rate and you don't actually see it on the display)

Nice display for embedded or wearable. OLED means it does not draw a lot of current so it's great for battery powered devices.

With the 4 corner mounting hole (a lot of module maker forget to add these in their designs) it can easily integrate in your mechanical designs.

Comments

Popular Posts