Thursday, April 28, 2016

Review of the PRUSA I3 EG-1 3D printer (part 3)

Made some good progress tonight on the assembly with the help of my oldest Benjamin. We are not at step 18.

Had some frustration with missing screws, most of which I was able to replace by some 4-40 screws I had. Unfortunately around here metric screws are hard to find.

The only 4 screws I could not really replace are the 4 screws holding the bed. I temporarily used 4-40 screws but could not use the supplied thumb nut used to adjust the bed level. Sent an e-mail to ElectronicGeek, waiting for a reply.

On step 5, I really suggest that you insert a smooth rod in the two bearing assembly to keep them aligned while tightening the screws. Had to slack them as they were not aligned and the rod would not slide.

In step 6 for the auto-level option, careful about the screw length. 25mm screws are too long. Also on my assembly there were no threaded hole for the 10mm screw.

Nice note on the wire placement on step 17, but an indication in step5 would have been great also.

So that's where we are at tonight. Here are some picture of the assembly as I call it a night.

Review of the PRUSA I3 EG-1 3D printer (part 2)

Well, spend some time starting the assembly last night. Went up to step 4 of 24.

My first iritant was the hardware kit. All screws, nuts and small metal parts in 2 bags.

Sorting them out took a good 10m. Would be a plus if they come in separate labeled bags. I guess it's would cost more, but I see that it could be a barrier for some.

I did not count all parts but the ones I counted seemed exact with some spares. I did have one part that I could not identify:

Next I started on the assembly.... Second irritant, the acrylic parts are not labeled which in some cases makes you wonder if you are assembling the right parts as the assembly guide uses CAD drawing.

Putting ID on each parts (like IKEA) would be a big bonus. Also when assembling the motors there is no note in the assembly guide to which side you should put the wires which may make the wiring a mess if you don't think ahead.

Now the acrylic come with protective wrap glued to both side of the parts. These are a pain in the b**t to remove. In fact last night I could only remove the brown side and never got the clear side to come off (ok, maybe 2 glass of wine did not help). I'll try again today.

Some steps are also missing some pointers. Like here there it is hard to tell in which hole the "sliding rod restriction" parts should be tied to:

Adding leader lines or splitting these into extra steps may help a lot.

Now I'm a big fan of lock washers:

Lock washers are great for keeping screws and nut tight under vibration. There are no lock washers in this design which makes me think that some parts may come loose after some time printing, but we will see and I'll add some if needs be.

That's it for now. I'll continue during my lunch break today and maybe tonight.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Review of the PRUSA I3 EG-1 3D printer (part 1)

Got back from the office today with a nice delivery from Canada Post waiting for me at home. A brand new 3D printer from

First impression of the unboxing are good. Nice packaging, parts well protected and in foam trays:

Also a nice personal touch with a letter addressed to my name congratulating me on my purchase and a sticker. Nice personal touch !

Over the next days I will be documenting my build process and first prints. Stay tuned.